View Event Detail
Pinsuti presents: Earth, Air, Fire and Water
- Description: Pinsuti, the Ilkley and Skipton chamber choir conducted by Robert Webb, returns to Christ Church in March, with a varied programme of choral music, combining earth, air, fire and water.
The elements feature in the airy scenes of nature captured in Finzis seven part songs, wonderful settings of lyric poetry by First World War poet Robert Bridges, including Clear and gentle stream and Nightingales.
More earth, air, fire and water are provided by the young Finnish composer, Jaakko Mäntyjärvi, who takes Shakespeare as his inspiration, in dramatic settings from The Tempest, A Midsummer Nights Dream, Come Away Death from Twelfth Night and the atmospheric witches song from Macbeth, Double, Double, Toil and Trouble.
We will be singing three pieces by the popular contemporary American composer, Eric Whitacre: our favourite, Sleep, to a text by written by Charles Silvestri; Nox aurumque by the same partnership; and the work which made the then 25-year-old composers name, Water Night, on a text by Octavio Paz.
Morten Lauridsen is one of our favourite choral composers, and he provides an abundance of fire, through his impassioned "Madrigali" - six Fire Songs on Italian renaissance poems, concerning the pleasures and pains of love.
It is an exciting and varied selection of music, which we hope will appeal to a wide variety of musical tastes and provide a very enjoyable evening.
Come and join us!
Where & When
- Venue: Christ Church, Keighley Road, Skipton, BD23 2AH
- Nearest town/village: Skipton
- Start Date: Sat 17-Mar-18
- End Date: Sat 17-Mar-18
- Start Time: 19:30
- End Time: 21:30
- Admission Free: No
- Admission Adult: £8 on the door or from choir members
- Admission Child: under 16 - free
- Accessible by Bus/Train: Yes
- Organisation: Pinsuti Chamber Choir
- Web Site: www.pinsuti.org.uk
Event Management Guide
Email us for the free Event Management Guide for events organisers, updated with the latest legislation information, website links and useful templates for essential paperwork.
Find the event you want to visit
Looking for inspiration and information about painting and crafts in the Yorkshire Dales?
It's raining again? Never mind, there's still lots to do on a rainy day in Skipton, and a lot of them are free.